Monday 17 October 2011

My favourite Mutton 'Chaamps' or Lamb Chops!

This is one of my most favourite recipes. It's simple, rich in flavour and absolutely finger licking good. I almost didn't share it coz it's THAT great! But then it wouldn't be fair to have a blog about food and not share the best of the best on it, would it?! So all I ask from you is that when you get all those compliments from your friends for being a such a rockstar cook, do send some my way!

Here it is, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Ingredients:
Mutton/Lamb Chops - 500 gm
Yogurt - 1 cup
Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder- 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 2 tsp
Green Chillies, chopped finely - 2
Ginger-Garlic Paste - 3 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - for basting
Brown Onion Paste - 1/2 cup
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
Amchur Powder (Raw Mango Powder) - 1 tsp
Onion Rings - For Garnish

Method:
1. Clean and trim the mutton/ lamb chops.
2. Whisk together yogurt, brown onion paste, ginger-garlic paste, Red Chili powder, garam masala powder, green chillies and salt. Let it chill.
3. Rub the chops with coriander powder and marinate in lemon juice for 30 minutes.
4. After 30 minutes, marinate the chops in the yogurt mixture for 2 hours.
5. Put the chops on a grill or a pan and cook till done.
6. Sprinkle amchur powder before serving. Garnish with onion rings and serve with mint chutney.

I usually make the chops in an open pan with a lid so that once it has browned, I can cover it and let it cook through as the quality of lamb chops in India is not that great and it takes far longer to get done. 

I had about 15 people over for dinner the other night and here's a picture of the chops cooking. Of course, it was almost 5 times the above quantity and I had to prepare it in two batches! 

Sorry, there is no 'after' picture of the final finished dish. As you can imagine, no one wanted to really wait till I got a picture! It just disappeared, so maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...